Developing effective resumes
An effective resume is:
- a structured summary of your relevant qualifications, skills and experience
- tailored to a specific job
- clear and concise
Find out how to tidy up your resume and make it stand out for the right reasons.
1. Watch this video
In this short presentation, we highlight how you should develop your resume.
2. Find out more
Want to know more? Here are some great links to resources to assist you develop your resume.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Resumes
- Resume tips [Youtube video, CareerOne]
- Resumes: The low down on what to include
- Writing resumes with impact
- FAQs about resumes
3. Take action
Activity 1: Write or update your resume
Create a fresh resume that you can tailor for specific job applications in the future.
- Include all relevant sub-headings outlined in Resumes – the low-down on what to include
- Use action verbs to communicate the skills you’ve used in part-time jobs , volunteering, placements and relevant paid work
Review and refine your document using the Resume Checklist
4. Get feedback
Once you’ve created a resume that you would be prepared to send an employer, you can get feedback from a member of the Career Ready team . You’ll get feedback on:
- What’s working?
- What can be improved?
- What steps might you take to develop specific skills or communicate them more effectively?
This serviced is for currently enrolled La Trobe University students. La Trobe graduates can also access this service up to 12 months after course completion.