Creating a satisfying career is about recognising and building on your specific interests, values and abilities. It’s also helpful to be aware of personal qualities such as persistence, resilience and flexibility, that can help you to overcome obstacles and setbacks, and flourish in your career. Take some time to explore what matters to you in your work, and the values and strengths that motivate you.
1. Get an overview
View transcript TRANSCRIPT – CREATING A CAREER PATH 2 KNOWING YOURSELF
2. FIND OUT MORE
- What does success look like? by Karen Bremner
- How passions, values and goals can shape your career
- Leo Babuta’s tips on how to figure out what to do with your life
- How to Reframe 6 Career-Limiting Beliefs by Larry Buhl
1. Hear Alain de Boton’s point of view on happiness, fulfilment and work
2. Find out about the Science of Character and why knowing your strengths matters
3. TAKE ACTION
Apply what you’ve learnt in this topic to your own career interests and situation by completing the following activities.
Identify and understand your strengths using the VIA strengths survey.
The VIA survey will help you to identify your top character strengths, such as honesty and perseverance. The test is free, however you will need to register your details at the VIA website. Your data contributes to academic research.
Explore what you are good at and enjoy doing.
Find out how your interests can lead to a job.
Identify and understand your work values
Download the Graduate Careers Australia booklet ‘Your Career and You’. Drawing on the readings and other activities on ‘knowing yourself’, take some time to your record and reflect on your unique mix of skills, interests and abilities using this booklet.